Mirabel garen and palace
Wedding hall, beautiful flowerage an venue for conferences
In 1606 Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau had a palace built outside the town walls for Salome Alt which he called "Altenau".
Salome Alt was the daughter of the prominent merchant and councillor, Wilhelm Alt, and the prince archbishop's mistress.
She bore him 15 children, of which 10 survived.
From Altenau to Mirabell
After Wolf Dietrich's death - he was forced to abdicate in 1612 and was held captive in the Fortress until his death - Altenau was re-named "Mirabell" by his successor, Markus Sittikus von Hohenems (1612 - 1619).
Prince Archbishop Paris Lodron (1619 - 1653) included the palace and gardens in his extended ring of fortifications.
Venues, ceremonies and concerts
Today the Marble Hall, formerly the prince archbishop's banquet hall where Mozart's father Leopold and his children Wolfgang and Nannerl once played their instruments, is acknowledged to be one of the "most beautiful wedding halls in the world".
The Marble Hall also serves as an elegant venue for conferences, awards ceremonies and exquisite concerts (Salzburg Palace Concerts).
Famous persons at Mirabell
Famous personalities have stayed at Mirabell Palace: three years before the great fire on July 1, 1815, just after Salzburg was transferred to Bavaria, Prince Otto of Bavaria, later to become the King of Greece, was born in Mirabell Palace.
One year later Salzburg became "Austrian" again and Mirabell Palace became the summer residence of the emperor.
Archbishop Cardinal Maximilian Josef von Tarnóczy lived in the palace for 12 years, from 1851 to 1863.
Today the Palace accommodates the office of Salzburg's Bürgermeister (mayor) and the municipal administration.